Smashing

Smashing

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Mr. Russ's Cheesecake Elegante'

Ok, so the story behind this cheesecake recipe is this: My dad (God rest his beautiful soul) was an amazing chef. He would find a recipe and share it with one and all. This recipe is circa 1991? Not sure on the date exactly, but I do remember my dad making it while I was back east, in South Carolina visiting my family, with my daughter, who was about 10 months old at the time...and holy cow was it ever good! Creamy like custard, not anything like the gritty-grainy ricotta cheesecakes! (Blaaahhhckkk) I have had to "tweak" it a bit, since I cannot find the Keebler 2 extra
servings pie crusts  it usually called for in the past..

BUT, not to worry all of these ingredients fit perfectly in to 2, yes TWO- 8 serving pie crusts just as well! I look at it like this...You make one for others and then keep one for yourself! Or in my family, try to hide one without anyone finding it! It freezes and can travel across country, 3,000 miles to be exact, in the bottom of a "Build a Bear" box, with bear guarding it ever so diligently, all the while toting 2 small school age children and coloring books through 3 airports! I know, I did it multiple times!

It is perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner as a meal replacement in my family...just ask my children. My dad was famous for his cheesecakes where ever he went....as a thoughtful gift, he would make one for the people he really cared for. Friends, family and his doctors...or the greeter at Wal-Mart! That's how they knew he really cared for them,  By his thoughtfulness...and then telling them that it was no trouble at all to make! Because it was created from the heart and with love, just for them.

A FEW THINGS BEFORE WE BEGIN---
1. Cream Cheese MUST BE room temperature to ensure there will be NO LUMPS!!! Lumps are bad! (jk)
2. Mix up sour cream topping while first layer is baking-because I said so...No really, so that the sugar dissolves and is not granular!
3. And regardless how much you wish for it to "Chill and Firm up"...you must wait patiently (with fork in hand, bib around neck & napkin for your lips) young grass-hopper! So make it at night and then go to sleep...Viola' Breakfast!

Pre-Heat oven to 350*

Here are the ingredients for the first layer:
2 8 serving pie crust shells
2 8oz cream cheese blocks VERY room temperature (overnight/many hours is best)
2 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
2/3 C sugar

Second Layer or Lair (it IS enticing...)

1 16 oz container of Sour Cream
2 tsp. Vanilla
1/4 Cup Sugar


Blend Cream Cheese for a few minutes on high, alone. (Not YOU alone in the kitchen-the cream cheese silly) I like this funky whipper-doo-dad-thingy attachment...it makes me feel good to be whipping something!


Then add sugar, blend more to ensure cream cheese & sugar have mixed thoroughly and sugar has dissolved. Then add vanilla & eggs.


Pour into each pie crust about half way. Spread out evenly!!!!


Place in the oven & bake for 25 minutes. Not to worry, it may NOT look like it's done, but trust me,... it is!

Take out of the oven and then reset oven temperature to 450*

Second Layer or Lair (it IS enticing...)
1 16 oz container of Sour Cream
2 tsp. Vanilla
1/4 Cup Sugar

Sour Cream, Sugar and vanilla layer...this is yummy!!!  Remember to mix well, very well...and then mix again!


Granulated sugar not dissolved...VERY BAD! JK! (I use my sink as the "Catch-all" for trash and such while cooking!)


Carefully pour sour cream mixture on top of the first layer, not too heavily in "one area" or you will have what I call "first layer spill over." Meaning your first layer cannot support the 2nd layer...it's a jealous competitive thing...scientifically, it is due to the weight...


Then spread the 2nd layer evenly and then use a spoon to smooth it to the edges....and then back to the oven it goes....for 7 minutes...yes again ONLY SEVEN minutes!


Now after you have licked the batter and the bowls clean, and the cheesecakes 7 minutes baking are up, you must let them rest on a wire rack to cool.

And wait....


And wait...


And wait....


And wait....


And wait....


And wait....


Once they are cool, place them in the refrigerator to "Chill and firm up." Then go to bed...or do whatever you like for about 12 hours!

REMEMBER to place the lids on the cheesecakes that came with them...it's an IQ test! I have confidence you all can figure it out....

Enjoy and let me know what you think! My Dad would be proud! Carry on my "cheesecake warriors!"







No comments:

Post a Comment